Thursday, February 26, 2009

Product Review: Mac Paint Pots

I’m sure all of you know that there are many eyeshadow bases out there in the cosmetic market. The most popular ones are Urban Decay’s Primer Potion, Too Face Eyeshadow Insurance and a bunch of eyeshadow bases from Mac. Here I present to you a product review on Mac Paint Pots.


Product: 4 out of 5
Packaging: 2 out of 5
Quality: 3.5 out of 5
Overall: 3.5 out of 5
Price: $16.50
Size: 5g/0.17 fl oz.
Available: At your local Mac counter
www.maccosmetics.com
A highly pigmented eye colour that goes on creamy but dries to an intense, vibrant finish. The next generation of a popular M·A·C formula, Paint Pots maintains all the intense traits of its inspiration. Long-wearing, colourfast. Creates seamless coverage without weight or caking. Blends smoothly over the lids. Cream-based, can be mixed with M·A·C shadows and liners. Available in matte and pearl formulas.
-
www.maccosmetics.com
There are a total of 13 shades currently available of these paint pots; within these 13 shades there are different finishes; matte and pearl. There have been a few collections that featured paint pots in their lines that are limited editions like Fafi, Alexander McQueen, and the N collection. So more than 20 paint pots have been produced by Mac; I have about 12+(don't know where my Painterly is!)? The shades are all over the color spectrum.

Pros: A variety of colors to chose from and there are 2 different types of finishes also. Although there are many colors to chose from there’s still neutral colors like Painterly, Soft Ochre, Rubenesque, and Bare Study that would suit anyone. The product also promises a staying power of 8 hours.

Cons: The packaging! I mentioned in a previous post that my Moss Scape point pot has completely dried up after 2x. Of course it could have been my fault that the paint pot wasn’t closed tight but that’s highly unlikely. All of my paint pots are tightly closed, with the label facing upwards in a dry dark place (traincase). I’ve also noticed that the matte formulas don’t stay creamy for long. Also with the type of packaging it has it exposes a lot of the product to the air which will dry the product out and also contaminate it with bacteria. Although it promises a staying power of 8 hours and it works for majority of consumers, it doesn’t work for me. The pigmentation on some of the shades is too sheer. I can still clearly see my skin under the product (ex: Fresco Rose, Delft)…apply more product? Creasing will occur sooner.

Overall: I honestly really liked Paint Pots, which explains why I have over 12 of them! It wasn’t till I started noticing my matte Paint Pots drying out and my Moss Scape (pearl formula) drying completely out because of the twist cap. It didn’t fulfill its 8 hour staying power but honestly everything creases on me. I think that the product itself is great but the packaging affects the product because it doesn’t preserve the product for too long.

^^ Where I store them!


What are your thoughts on paint pots?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just saw you post ( I know I am a little late), but I had the same thing happen to my fluidlines, all dried out. I was really mad. The Mac girl just told me not to have so many colours (I like lots of colours, that's why I bought them, duh). I have a trick though.

I spritz a little fix+ into the jars and then store them upside down. I noticed since I did this none of my paint pots or fluidlines dried up. If any moisture is evaporated from air exposure or bad packaging, the fix+ goes first saving your paint pots and fluidlines. And by storing upside down, if you open it the fix+ stays on the lid and the product is no wet.

Hope I could help